July 5, 2013


I am so sick of throwing up. I don’t know why but barfing has become a daily occurrence again, usually after dinner, no matter what I eat. Last night we went to Boston Pizza where I had caesar salad and ravioli and then I came home, took my evening pills and about 15 minutes later I was barfing my guts up. For the 3rd or 4th day in a row. I don’t think I’m sick, I think it’s a pancreas/lack of gall bladder thing but why it’s happening now all of a sudden, I have no idea. I’ve also been having chronic heartburn which has made drinking Diet Coke pretty much impossible so I’ve become a water addict. There are worse things, I suppose.

Wednesday we had our artist guild meeting and Mike showed me this cool thing called Square, which is this little device you plug into your cell phone that allows you to swipe credit cards and then Square takes 2.7% and deposits the rest into your bank account. So I basically signed up immediately and now I’m just waiting for them to send me the device. My original plan for the studio tour, since I’m going to be stationed at the library, was to bring my laptop and have my Etsy shop open so people could purchase paintings that way with PayPal if they had to use a credit card but Etsy takes 3.5% so Square actually works out better. Also my phone is the Note II which has the stylus so I can accept credit cards that require a signature as well. It’s pretty cool.

Tonight marks the beginning of my crazy hours at work because I’m covering for Belinda while she’s on vacation for the next 17 days. I’m going to be working 28 hours overtime, all at weird hours. Like, instead of getting up at 4:30am to start work at 5am, I’ll be getting up at 2:30am to start work at 3am. Then tonight I work 2am-5am and Sunday I work 1am-5am. It’s all crazy and I’m super worried about my sanity if I can’t sleep when I’m supposed to. I’m going to have to get creative with my medications to ensure everything goes smoothly (with the blessing of my shrink).

On Sunday we went to John’s cottage for fireworks, which was a lot of fun. Before I get into that though, check this out:

That’s my mom, John and Chris in the Cash Cab, which is this game show type thing that I’d never heard of until my mom showed me a clip on YouTube.
You get into the cab and they ask you trivia questions and you win money.
If you get 3 answers (I think?) wrong, they boot you out of the cab.
I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say how much they won, but they won quite a bit of money.
They don’t know when it’s going to air but when I know, you’ll know!

Anyway, we went to the cottage for fireworks but in the afternoon John took Blake and the kids (and the neighbouring cottage’s kids) out tubing with the boat and I took pictures. Behold!

I started off (with the pics above) using my kit lens, which turned out to be not so great so for the rest of the pics, I switched to the zoom.

(He’s faking.)

Then John made us hamburgers with peameal bacon and veggie burgers with grilled peppers for Madison, who is now a vegetarian and then we all just shot the shit until it was time for fireworks. John got LOTS of fireworks and since this post is already pretty pic intensive, I’ll put the fireworks pics behind a cut…

This was my first time ever trying to take pics of fireworks so I read some tutorials about it beforehand and they all said to have your exposure be between 1-3 seconds, so I went with 1, f/11, ISO 200.
My pics are okay, I guess, for a first try, but next year I think I’m going to set up on the deck so I can get the whole “spray” of each firework, rather than bits of it that fills the whole frame.
This time I was set  up on the grass about 12 feet away from them and it was just too close.
Anyway, here are some of the pics I took:

Then the kids played with sparklers.

Blake tried to give Madison angel wings.

We have 3 packs of big sparklers that, once I’m not working crazy hours and can actually stay up after dark, we’re going to use to make cooler pics now that we know how they work out.

Taking pics of the fireworks was hard because I didn’t know where in the sky they were going to be, so I have to do some fast maneuvering with the tripod to get the camera pointed in the general direction of where I thought they were going to be. If I was further back, like on the deck, that would be less of an issue. So that’s what I’ll do next year.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays. I think I’m gonna go back to bed to try and sleep through this nausea. :o/


The comments for this entry can be syndicated via RSS.

  1. David Green says:

    The look on your son’s face while tubing said it all!!!!

Leave a Comment