1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
So many things! I had my final surgery on July 19th and went to Squam with my mom mid-September where I took a photography class with the wonderful and amazing Thea Coughlin and a painting class with Sarah Ahearn, two people whose work I really respect. After Squam I took another photography class mostly by myself (Alex took the class too and Blake drove) and started relearning how to drive. I’m still learning how to make the car do what I want to do and I need to relearn to automatically scan for signs, like speed signs etc. I’ve driven before – a lot in fact – but it feels like I’m doing it for the first time.
Also for the first time, I walked into town with some of my paintings and asked the person at The Conservatory, a brick and mortar store in town that sells local art, if they would sell my paintings there. They said “yes!” and wanted my ACEOs too. I’ve ordered a bunch of things from Zazzle to put in The Conservatory, but ultimately I want a button maker so I can make my own buttons.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. My year starts in September anyway.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not really. Mariko welcomed a daughter, Claudia, and my internet friends Missy and Dana just brought little Coraline into the world a couple of weeks ago.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nope. Thank god.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just the US of A.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More courage and energy. A bigger workspace or to get my workflow in any workable order. More money would also be nice.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 19th because that’s when I had my surgery.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having my surgery and going to Squam with my mom.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Trying to explain social programs and how the system works if you figure out how to work the system. People didn’t get that post or didn’t get what I was trying to convey, so it was a total fail. Other than that, I think I’m pretty much winning life.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
In the beginning of 2012 I was still pretty sick from my 2011 ordeal. I wasn’t really keeping down any food, my hair was falling out.I felt sick constantly, I was in pain due to pancreatic attacks and we were at the hospital a LOT.
On July 19th I had surgery on my stomach called “repair of massive ventral hernia with mesh/component separation + cholecystectomy” which means that they cut me right down the middle, removed my gall bladder, then put this mesh thing in the front of my stomach and sewed my stomach muscles onto it and my surgeon did a fucking AWESOME job. And my homecare nurse Cheryl, was excellent and I still miss her. I mean, she came and looked after me for an entire year, every other day.
Because they had to cut my stomach muscles open all the way down the middle, recovery fucking suuuuucked. I was in so much pain. You use your stomach muscles for EVERYTHING so when they hurt, they hurt. Luckily though, it’s kinda like childbirth: you forget the pain.
So yeah, sick, but also better.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Blake of course. He’s just the best person I’ve ever known. He even dealt with my drains after surgery.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Jeck’s. You just don’t do that to someone, especially someone you’re supposed to be friends with.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Camera equipment and food.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Squam! I was finally going to meet my super good friend Belinda!
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier
Older or wiser? BOTH
Thinner or fatter? Fatter
Richer or poorer? Richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d have painted more. I have a lot of unsold paintings but not enough for some of the things I want to do with them. I have to start being a little more prolific.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We had Xmas with my mom on the 23rd and then on Xmas Day we just stayed home, played Warcraft, watched Doctor Who and ate turkey.
22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Yes, I fell in love with photography.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Walking Dead or Mad Men
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Fucked Up or Die Atwoord.
28. What did you want and get?
I wanted a DSLR so I bought one.
29. What did you want and not get?
A neat camera strap. I even made a whole post about them and the family didn’t get the hint.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Life of Pi, I think. I didn’t see many memorable movies this year. I really liked Cloud Atlas but thought the book was better.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 33 and we went out for dinner but I forget where.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More money. But I’m working on that.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
HA! Yoga pants, various t-shirts, various hoodies, fingerless gloves, black crocheted hat
34. What kept you sane?
Anti-psychotics, photography, Blake and the kids.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Just the US election in general.
37. Who did you miss?
Nicole, my brother.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Definitely Thea Coughlin. She changed my life.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
Life is long and slow but fragile.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Listen to the girl
As she takes on half the world
Moving up and so alive
In her honey dripping beehive
– Just Like Honey by The Jesus & Mary Chain
No Comments »
The comments for this entry can be syndicated via RSS.