I finally got up off my ass and got productive and came up with something new, but I’m not sure how I feel about her. I present to you, “Daisy Mae”:
The daisies are pre-cut and made by a company called K & Company, who also happen to be the makers of Smash books. And actually now that I think about it, I think they made the ric rac that I used on the hem of her dress. They make some pretty neat stuff. I don’t mind using something like the ric rac because I could never make something like that, but the daisies? Theoretically I *could* but it would be extremely difficult and extremely time consuming and I already have a good 30 hours worth of work in her as it is, so do I really want to tack on another 20? Especially 20 hours that I wouldn’t get paid for because I can’t conceivably charge more than I already do for paintings? I could have painted the daisies but they wouldn’t have had the same effect and painting over glitter is pretty difficult, my painted daisies would turn out bumpy like sandpaper.
So having said all that, I guess using pre-made daisies wasn’t horrible…what are your thoughts? Like I said, K & Company makes all kinds of neat things like those daisies so if you guys liked this one, I might theoretically make more like her. I just don’t know how I feel about her. I dunno. I dunno. I dunno. :o/ I like her colour scheme, I like her background, I like her dress, I like the ric rac…I’m just not sure about the daisies.
The little picture she’s holding is technically a pre-made element too but I’ve used those before and I wouldn’t be able to paint anything that detailed and that small and technically it’s scrapbook paper which is what her dress is made of so I don’t have an issue with that like I do the daisies.
Also, it doesn’t really show up in the photos but the edges of the daisies’ petals actually have iridescent white glitter on them. They came that way though, I didn’t add that. And of course the glitter of the background is super sparkly beneath the varnish I use.
Speaking of the varnish I use, for some reason the jar of it I just opened to use on this painting is super thick, like glue. I’m not sure why it’s like that, like maybe that’s the new formula or something. It makes it really hard to use but you only need one coat of it, whereas the old formula you had to use two. I kinda think I liked doing two better though because it was a lot easier to apply. I don’t want to open another jar to see if they’re all like this now or if I just got a weird batch. We’ll see as I go along I guess.
I have no idea what my next painting is going to be, I don’t really have any ideas coming down the pipeline. I’m definitely open to suggestions! I really want to go to Michael’s when I get paid next because going there is very inspiring to me because of all the materials I could potentially use but I can’t really spend any money until after Squam. I have three storage containers full of paper for dresses so I need more like I need another hole in the head and I have a ton of fibers and ribbon and stuff for lacing corsets so I’m going there. I have lots of materials for fairy wings. In fact I have more materials than I conceivably have uses for it because I don’t want to repeat myself. For example, I have a whole roll of the ribbon I used for “Magenta Love Fairy”‘s wings but I don’t think I’m going to be using it for a very long time because I’ve already done that colour scheme and I don’t want to do it again. Also I wouldn’t even know where to put more ribbon if I obtained any. My mom got me this neat hanger that I think is technically for pants or something, but the hanging parts, like the prongs so to speak, swing out so you can put rolls of ribbon on it. Unfortunately they’re spaced for pants, not ribbon, so you can only use every other hangy part and currently that thing’s full, plus a whole shelf beside it. I know, I know, first world problems. I’m just not all that inspired by the stuff I already have. Maybe I should go through it all again and maybe something will jump out at me.
And actually, I do have this one idea but I haven’t been able to execute it. A while back I got this really cool glitter paper that’s patterned like peacock feathers and there’s this flower shop in Barrie I like that I happen to know sells peacock feathers for I think $2 a piece. I was thinking that I could use the real peacock feathers in the background of a painting, with coordinating glitters for the background and then the girl’s dress would be made of the aforementioned peacock paper. The only problem with this idea is that I think real peacock feathers are kinda big so only maybe two would fit on a canvas unless I got a bigger canvas…I really like working on 12 x 12 inch canvases though so I’m not sure how that would work.
I’m definitely done with uteruses. I think I got that out of my system. I just had to revisit them briefly to make *sure* I was done with them.
Anyway babble babble babble…check out Etsy for all kinds of paintings selling for tragically low prices considering the time it took to make them. And if originals aren’t your thing, I have a much neglected Zazzle shop where you can buy posters, mugs, cell phone cases, greeting cards and all kinds of other cool stuff with my designs on them! “Daisy Mae” stuff will be available soon!
No Comments »
The comments for this entry can be syndicated via RSS.